Phase 2 Module
The Therapeutic Yoga Training – Level I Online – gives yoga teachers the skills to work intelligently with students who are living with chronic illness or injury, as well as pregnant and aging populations. Knowing how to work with these groups will deepen your confidence as a teacher, expand the range of private clients you can work with, and increase the types of classes you can offer – including online, working remotely with clients and using common props in their home.
Therapeutic Yoga is a comprehensive system of restorative yoga, gentle yoga, breath awareness, energy healing, and guided meditation specifically designed to enhance the body’s own capacity to heal. Using props such as pillows, bolsters, and blankets to gently support the body, the benefits of Therapeutic Yoga are accessible even to those recovering from injury or illness. Breath work, guided meditation and remote healing modalities are also part of the system, balancing the body and bringing peace to the mind.
In addition to yoga teachers, our graduates include nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, acupuncturists, and other healthcare professionals. Upon completion of the program, they are able to integrate the techniques taught in the training into patient care. Many of our graduates have successfully taken Therapeutic Yoga into hospitals, hospices, home-care situations, and many other areas of healthcare.
In place since 1998, our certified training offers a comprehensive and highly refined curriculum that includes:
- physiology of stress and relaxation
- anatomy from the yogic perspective
- 16 restorative yoga poses and theory
- gentle yoga poses
- benefits and contraindications of each posture
- effect of postures on acupuncture meridians
- sequencing guidelines for poses
- scar tissue and adhesions
- guided meditation for stress reduction and healing
- breath work
- remote energy healing techniques
- self-administered massage and energy healing
- supporting healing in students and clients
- learn how to effectively teach Therapeutic Yoga zoom sessions and classes
- COVID-19 pathology and Therapeutic Yoga for recovery
- self-care practices for the practitioner
- Interview with Gail Parker, Ph.D., C-IAYT, E-RYT 500, esteemed doctor and author of the recently published (August 2020) book Restorative Yoga for Ethnic and Race-Based Stress and Trauma. Visit https://www.drgailparker.com for more information.
- Interview with Whitney White, respiratory therapist working with COVID-19 patients in a Long Term Acute Care (LTAC) facility in New Orleans, Louisiana. Different aspects of both near term recovery as well as healing from long term damage are covered, with specific discussion of the benefits of several Therapeutic Yoga poses.
The training is both didactic and experiential. In the mornings, there will be an experiential practice, followed by lectures, which feature multimedia presentations. In the afternoons, students of the training will observe Cheri guiding a client in a Therapeutic Yoga session online, while Arturo goes over the contraindications and benefits of each pose. The day finishes with a Q&A session to discuss elements of the online session and the day’s classes. For those attending live, there will be several optional lunchtime zoom breakout room sessions to get to know your classmates as well as a community portal to facilitate connection within our virtual community.