Phase 1 Module
Study the form and function of the human body in a unique online module. Explore easeful movement and mechanisms to return to ease when lost. Learn how diseases and illnesses most often encountered by Yoga therapists arise and progress from normal physiological functioning. Review the practical elements and language useful for navigating complex medical systems.
Yoga therapy is the process of empowering individuals to progress toward improved health and well-being through the application of the teachings and practices of Yoga. (IAYT)
To investigate this multidimensional and integrated approach to wellness, dive deep into an educational and experiential exploration of the human body as it relates to the practices of Yoga.
Deepen understanding of the structure and function of the human body while examining pathophysiology that leads to suffering. From a model of ease, examine what processes lead to dis-ease and what interventions can assist in restoring the whole being to health and wellbeing.
Guided by Dr. John Murphy, DO and C-IAYT Satya Lynn, integrate relevant medical research with the tools of Yoga therapy. Using the branches of Integral Yoga Therapy, develop skills to support individuals in prevention and healing dis-ease and chronic conditions while cultivating a deeper understanding of the requirements to live in balance and ease.
- Study in-depth the structure and function of the human body
- Review each basic body system to understand proper operation from a state of ease
- Investigate the role of movement and Yoga practices on the body systems
- Explore disease processes of the human body and connection to dis-ease
- Discuss how dis-ease affects body-mind-spirit from an Eastern and Western perspective
- Examine how healing works from a whole-system-science perspective
- Incorporate tools of Yoga therapy with the knowledge of anatomy and current Yoga related medical research
- Integrate clinical considerations with relevant basic science
- Utilize critical thinking skills while observing and assessing students and clients, creating care plans, and evaluating effectiveness of practices for implementation
- Develop communication skills and awareness necessary for interfacing with the medical community
Human Body : Ease–Structure and Function of the Human Body
Human Body: Dis-ease–Pathophysiology and Disease process
Human Body: Ease and Dis-ease– Integration, Application, and Assessment
Over the course of this module, students will progress through three sections of learning. Section A and B consist of a series of pre-recorded videos and assignments students work through at their own pace. Meet-ups occur weekly to check in, review, and apply learning while keeping students engaged, motivated, and on-track with course material.
Prior to the start of the course, students complete a pre-module assessment to determine basic understanding and will have access to a series of videos to review the 200 hour YA standard competencies in anatomy and physiology before beginning the module.
At the completion of Section A and B, students will assemble in person with a physician and Yoga therapist for review, application and assessment of information to complete Section C and complete the course. Students will be given case studies and asked to apply what they have learned, answering questions and demonstrating competencies relating to these cases. Section C is mandatory for completion of the Human Body module certification.
Assessment and Certification
Students are continuously assessed throughout the course at all levels with written, verbal, and practical components. There is a practical exam at the end of the course during the in-person section to evaluate understanding of the application of anatomy and physiology in relation to Yoga and Yoga Therapy. Attendance at live sessions is required for certification. Live sessions will be recorded. Participants must pass all aspects of the course to be eligible for the course certificate.
Students are eligible to earn a 60-hour IY certification upon completion of the final assessment. All students who pass this course will receive a digital certificate of completion.
In addition, upon completion of this course, you can use your certification for Yoga Alliance and IAYT.